Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Awesome Built Review - Robert Vancel's Highlights on a Scratch Built Star Destroyer

Not for the faint hearted, and projects like this really  requires a lot of research, reference, raw materials, skills and more importantly - patience. Scratch Built means this kit started out from scratch - literally. Since I don't really qualify for any of the above (well, I have only recently gone back to scale modelling), I can at best just ogle at other people's fantastic work and give them credits here.

Among all the scratch built topics, the Star Destroyer is next to the movie refit USS Enterprise 1701 (or 1701A) for being the favourite subjects. I have seen so many beautiful scale models done, and some can be up to 8 feet long.

Among the 3 movies that had the Star Destroyers, The Empire Strikes Back represent the epitome for which reference are gathered and worked on. Why do I say this ... well, most of them includes a small Millennium Falcon to scale attached to the back of the upper housing deck, just like in the movie.

Here's one I found from Robert Vancel photobucket. I thought I had saved the link but now I can't find it so Robert, if you're reading this, drop me a note and I'll link this topic back to you. Just so everyone knows, Robert is the man behind Avery Products.

Check out the sheer amount of details and lightings done up for this kit.




More images after this jump


A superbly built Star Destroyer. Ogle away.



















No comments:

Post a Comment