Hey gals and guys, did you know that Starship Modeller has brought back the "Star Fighter" online contest? I used to see the result page and saved a lot of images from their past events, but never really joined. Reason wasn't so much the distance (since its online) but ... well, when you see the other participants' work, I was kind of embarrassed to show mine .. hehehe. But I guess I need to someday, since I was told mine wasn't that bad.
Let me elaborate a little more about this contest. It says "Star Fighter", meaning its those one or two pilot fighter vehicles we grew to love so much. It cannot be a starship or space cruiser even though those things do fight in space.
Here's an excerpt from the Contest Rules
Awards will be given in three categories:
- Box Stock/Limited Conversion: A model built from a commercially available kit (it may be out of production). Your kit can be lighted and/or super-detailed, but it must be recognizable as a commercially available kit. Aftermarket and scratchbuilt additions (accurizing kits, cockpit details, photoetc, etc.) may be used as long as the bulk of the model came from a commercially available kit.
- Scratchbuilt/Kitbashed: A model built primarily from scratch or kitbashed from other components.
- Diorama: Any model incorporated into a display with other models, figures, etc. that tells a story or presents a snapshot of an activity.
Examples of eligible entries include, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO, the following:
- Any small, armed craft that operates in space much like a fighter aircraft operates on Earth. Examples include Starfuries, Colonial Vipers, X-Wings and Draconian Marauders. Large ships, such as the USS Enterprise, Battlestar Galactica or Stardestroyer, do not qualify - even though they fight in space.
- Any crewmember (pilot) of a starfighter
- Any hardware or sub-system that is part of a starfighter (weapons, sensors, control stick, etc.)
- Mecha/powered suits IF they operate in space - not on Earth or another planet, asteroid, comet or Moon.
I'm seriously thinking about joining this one and the deadline is 3rd January 2011. That means I have roughly 3 months to complete whatever I want to enter. Haven't quite decided what yet. But I do have all hese images to help me decide:
Here's an idea for a diorama
Or your chance to Scratch Build something never seen before